Monday, November 21, 2011
Someone's little girl
This Saturday was Brie's mom's birthday. We visited her grave at the cemetery, went to a movie, let her go on facebook as much as she wanted, and just tried to make the day not completely miserable. It was surely, still, a very hard day for Brie. And I know that this day will be hard for her for many, many, years to come. Moms are irreplaceable.
A couple of summers ago one of my little sister's friends died in a highway traffic accident. Shannon had been friends with Karen since elementary school and I can easily picture her as a little girl up through high school. She left behind a husband and three year old daughter. For the weeks that followed all I could think about was this little girl who was her mom's world. All the little things that moms do for their kids. Who was going to give Lola her cute pig tails and make sure she always looked adorable. Who was going to call her boogie and beam as she tells funny anecdotes about what Lola had done? Who was going to make the foods she liked, who was going to hold her when she cries, who was going to make her a little princess for the rest of her life? Shannon's husband has always been a very involved and loving dad, but moms are irreplaceable.
I try to think about how much Roxanne loved Brie. Brie was her little girl and her whole life. Probably the best thing that ever happened to her. Sometimes with all the disciplining and door slamming and teenage stuff it is hard to remember that I am taking care of some one's little girl. I am the one who needs to cherish and love where a mom left off. Despite all the drama that erupts out of tragedy, God created this child to be loved and has a purpose and beautiful plan for her life. Brie won't believe me, but I know God didn't create her just to suffer and be miserable. Jesus would have died for each and everyone one us on the cross, and He did. We all have a father for suffered and gave up everything because He loved each one of His children that much. And I wish that I could truly live in a state of awareness that each one of us is worth dying for. Each one of us is loved beyond measure. The jerk in traffic, the rude coworker, the judgemental person in your life... God sees them first as His little one who is worth dying for. Lord God, please help me to see Gabrielle as her mom did, and help me see all people as you do. Amen
Labels:
foster care
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beautiful post, Rebecca and I just love your About Me info too!
ReplyDelete