Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lilarose's Baptism


Lilarose was baptised this past Sunday. With each child it is such a powerful event for me. It is a day full of hope, renewal, and gratitude.



HOPE: It reminds me to hope for the best thing for my children-heaven! This life is fleeting and we must take very seriously our duty to lead our children home to God. Baptism makes us realize that life is so much bigger than we can fathom. We have souls. This life is really but one little yes or no question at the beginning of our eternity of existence. Yes Lord I choose YOU, or no, I will choose only myself. For my children their baptism is the begging of helping them say 'yes'. Helping them make an informed decision about who this God is and why He is worthy of their love. I want my children to live out God's will for their lives. This is the most direct way to joy on this earth and quick entry into heaven. If all my kids don't make it heaven, I'm afraid I won't want to go! How can a place be unimaginably happy if the children who formed in my womb are not there? In heaven I think we will know people we didn't really know in this life. The little boy we sponsor in India will know me. I will know my great, great grandparents even though I have never met them and my great great grandchildren will know me. Some parents think that they should avoid religion and spirituality with their children to allow them to make their own choices. But why would you withhold the most beautiful and lasting gift that you could ever give your children- a guiding hand to eternal salvation.



RENEWAL: Baptism is also a renewal of my motherhood. I love the prayer that Father prays for me. A blessing that I will be a good mother. It reminds me that I can not be who my children need me to be on my own. I must pray and depend on God or I will fail every time. Having four kids makes you REALLY need God. It is so overwhelming and requires so much of you that one day you realize that you just can't do it. God uses our children to refine us. They are the fire that burns away our impurities and leaves us solid gold. Children demand that you are always thinking of others. They need a mother to meet even their most basic needs. I am trained everyday to serve others. To look for other's needs before they ask. To love even thought I am tired or sick or stressed out. Sometimes I succeed but sometimes I fail. Baptism is a renewal that God will help me to mother these children.
GRATITUDE: Lilarose's baptism was also a day of joyful gratitude. Gratitude for family and friends to share in our happiness. Gratitude for the family solidarity of a shared faith. Gratitude for a new soul that will exsist for all time. And gratitude for a loving Father who welcomes us as his adopted sons and daughters.

It is so difficult to live in a state of realization of these huge truths that are woven into our everyday lives. Even at the baptism while I was trying to bask in the beauty of the moment my mind was so distracted. My kids are running around, trying to get in the pictures, Lila is interested only in her bottle and I am hoping that Father won't say anything that will be too insulting to my guests who don't share my beliefs. Then afterward there is food and diapers and parking to worry about. But, for a few minutes I got to feel my soul leap for joy and Christ embracing our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment