I remember being so excited when I brought my second born home because I went from having "a baby" to having "kids". I would call my two little ones "the kids" just for the fun of hearing those words come out of my mouth. Well, now with 6 kids, it seems a lot more fitting to call them "the kids"... or "the mob" or the "heard of stray cats ". Having so many kids so close in age can be very stressful and tiring. Sometimes I feel like the days pass and I have done nothing but go from catastrophe to catastrophe. But I know, without a doubt, that even though I am not the perfect mom, that these children are my salvation. These children were given to me to be the furnace that burns all the selfishness out of me so that I can learn to love. These children show me the face of God.
Having a lot of kids does not suddenly make you a "good mom" or even a "good person". But it sure gives you a lot of opportunities to practice! Virtues are just good habits, and habits are actions repeated over and over. When you have a lot of kids you get to practice putting yourself last, caring for others, planning things ahead of time, patience, sacrifice, and love. You get to give up what you want for the good of others. You learn to value being, more than doing. You can't define yourself by your cool hobbies or exciting travels. You are not likely to be high fashion or have exciting stories to tell. Forget having a nice house or beautiful things. Being a mom is pretty consuming. But day in and day out my kids are raising me. Raising me up to be a better person than I would be without them. Having several kids does not suddenly make you a devout Catholic or better mom...but I know that I am a more patient and loving and whole person than I would be without them.
No comments:
Post a Comment