Monday, December 8, 2014

Marriage still matters...

To my beautiful girls, despite what the world tells you, marriage still matters.  It is still worth it to make a promise, a vow, that you will love someone for the rest of your life.  And it is still worth it to give your life to someone.



Yes, I know you can 'act' like you are married...do all those things married people do...live with someone, spend all your time with them, make memories, even have kids.  Society will even tell you how smart you are for "finding out if you are compatible" before you commit.  This is a lie.  It will never be as full as if you did all these things with THAT man as YOUR husband. Because marriage still means something.





Life is the same.  You work, you play.  Some times are good, others bad.  But marriage adds another layer.


 


Marriage wraps life with a bow that says" I love you, you are unique to me and I choose you above all others".  It says" I will be with you if you are sick or tired...or sick and tired of the kids! I will follow you where ever you go. I will love your family as my own.  You are safe.  I am here to stay and will do whatever it takes".  Marriage says that we will be together for always...long enough to have children and see them raised..long enough to dream about retirement...long enough to be the last one you see in this world. 

And then, when you promise to be with someone forever, they will become someone new.  No one stays the same, we are always growing and changing.  Life happens. And then, you get to fall in love again, with whoever this new person your spouse has turned into.  Because you promised you would... and a promise as big as marriage will take your whole life to fulfill.  Some of the things you loved about your husband when you met will go away...some things on purpose, some because life happened.  But I hope you will have the guts to choose someone.  To take the challenge of loving someone for always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment